- Pursuant to Governor Inslee’s Emergency Proclamation regarding suspending certain provisions of the Open Public Meetings Act during the COVID-19 Outbreak, the Toppenish City Council will not accept in-person public comments. Until further notice, all City Council meetings will be held remotely on the following schedule:
- Council Meetings
- 1st Monday of every month at 5:00 p.m.
- 2nd Monday of every month at 7:00 p.m.
- 4th Monday of every month at 7:00 p.m
- Council Meetings
- May 10, 2021
- City Council Meeting Agendas and Minutes
- Watch City Council meetings:
- Televised live on MVTV Channel 194 on Spectrum
- Live stream on MVTV Channel 194 (Select Watch in upper right hand corner, and press play in the TV screen)
- Live stream on Apple TV and Roku
- Live stream on City’s Facebook page
- Prerecorded meetings televised daily at 9 a.m. and 7 p.m. on MVTV Channel 194 on Spectrum, available in English and in Spanish
- Prerecorded meeting videos on the MidValley Television website, available in English and in Spanish
City Hall Council Chambers
21 West First Avenue
Toppenish, WA 98948
(509) 865-6319 Phone
(509) 865-1950 Fax
|Position 1||Elpidia Saavedra||Mayor Pro Tem||12/21|
|Position 2||Juan Ceja||Councilmember||12/21|
|Position 3||Clara Jiménez||Councilmember||12/21|
|Position 4||Mark Oaks||Mayor||12/21|
|Position 5||George Garcia||Councilmember||12/23|
|Position 6||Naila Duval||Councilmember||12/23|
|Position 7||Loren Belton||Councilmember||12/23|
The City Council’s agenda has nine (9) sections.
I. The Mayor CALLS TO ORDER the meeting.
II. The PLEDGE OF ALLEGIANCE is then recited.
III. Residents may comment on any issue not on the agenda under PUBLIC COMMENTS.
IV. The CONSENT AGENDA includes minutes, bid awards, licenses, public hearing dates, and resolutions and ordinances discussed at previous meetings. The Council will act on all the items with a single vote.
V. In PRESENTATIONS, COMMUNICATIONS, AND CORRESPONDENCE, the Council conducts public hearings, hears staff presentations, and receives recommendations from city advisory committees, and requests from other agencies for Council action. The Council will listen to testimony and receive correspondence prior to casting their votes.
VI. Items on the ACTIVE AGENDA require the Council’s formal action. Resolutions express Council’s opinions or policies or authorize the signing of legal documents. Ordinances, more formal than resolutions, set the law for the City of Toppenish. Each item is discussed and voted on individually. Residents are encouraged to present their opinions when the Mayor invites public comment on each item. The Council will discuss among themselves, listen to public comments, and vote on each item.
VII. Councilmembers in COUNCILMEMBER MEETING REPORTS report to councilmembers and those present meetings they have attended since the last Council meeting.
VIII. UNFINISHED AND NEW BUSINESS includes reports from the City Manager and new issues raised by the Council or the City Manager.
IX. Once all business is completed, the Mayor may ADJOURN the meeting.
Occasionally, EXECUTIVE SESSIONS are on the agenda to allow to the Council to meet without the public present to discuss personnel, collective bargaining, real estate purchases, or lawsuits.
RESIDENTS OF TOPPENISH are welcome and invited to speak!! Please step to the microphone, state your name and address, and tell the Council your concerns or opinions under Public Comments or the item of your interest on the Active Agenda.
CITY COUNCIL is elected by Toppenish voters for four year terms. The City Council is the legislative governing body for the City of Toppenish. They set policies and ordinances, adopt the annual budget, levy taxes, approve contracts, and appoint City advisory board members, commissions, and committees. The City Council hires the City Manager to perform the administrative duties of the city.
MAYOR is the chief official of the City and is elected from among City Council members for a two year term. The Mayor presides at Council meetings and votes on all agenda items. In the absence of the Mayor, the Mayor Pro Tem officiates.